Save Money On Your Heating Bill This Winter
Posted on Dec 13, 2019
There are a few simple steps that you can take around your home to save money while staying warm. Many households could save 20-30 percent on their energy bills by implementing energy efficiency improvements. As a bonus, you get to help the planet by reducing greenhouse gas emissions. That's what some might call a win-win.
1. Purchase a programmable thermostat so that you can turn the temperature down while you are away for long periods of time. Unoccupied rooms should be left at 60 degrees, and rooms should never be above 68 when in use. To prevent pipe freeze, never shut the heat completely off to any part of the house.
2. Replace or clean furnace filters once a month.
3. Reduce the temperature on hot water heaters to 120 degrees.
4. Seal up the leaks and gaps around windows and doors. It may sound simple but making sure all doors and windows are secure could save you hundreds per month.
5. Keep baseboard vents and radiators unobstructed from draperies, furniture, or anything that will obstruct the air flow and circulation.
6. Replace burned out bulbs with more energy efficient ones.